Choose Ocean Friendly Restaurants on The North ShoreDec 01, 2016
The Vans Triple Crown of Surfing and World Surf League (WSL) have partnered again this year to make event and ocean sustainability a top line priority for the betterment of the North Shore. In collaboration with Sustainable Coastlines Hawaii, the organizations have helped minimize plastic pollution, redirected waste for reuse and publicized the importance of environmentally-friendly consumerism choices.
One way the North Shore community and its visitors can help perpetuate these missions is by voting for sustainability with their forks through the Ocean Friendly Restaurants program.
Ocean Friendly Restaurants, created by the Surfrider Foundation, has certified nearly 100 eateries in Hawaii including the official caterers of the Vans Triple Crown – Ke Nui Kitchen and Cholo’s Homestyle Mexican.
Restaurants participating in the Ocean Friendly Restaurants program must follow four criteria:
- No expanded polystyrene use (aka Styrofoam).
- Proper recycling practices are followed.
- Only reusable tableware is used for onsite dining and utensils for to-go food are provided only upon request.
- No plastic bags offered for takeout or to-go orders
And must also choose a minimum of three of these criteria as well:
- Plastic straws are provided only upon request.
- No beverages solid in plastic bottles.
- Discount offered for customers with reusable cup, mug, bag, etc.
- Vegetarian/vegan food options are offered on a regular basis. All seafood must be a ‘Best Choice’ or ‘Good Alternative’ as defined by Seafood Watch or certified as sustainable.
- Water conservation efforts such as low-flow faucets and toilets.
- Energy efficiency efforts such as LED lighting and Energy Star appliances. Anyone living in or visiting the North Shore can make a conscious decision to eat at ocean friendly restaurants, which help minimize plastic pollution along the coastline and protect our oceans for future enjoyment.
Be sure to look out for the Ocean Friendly Restaurants sticker at eateries, or stop by one of these certified spots on Oahu:
Aloha Wow Wow Lemonade
Haleiwa, Wahiawa, Kapolei
Banzai Sushi Bar
Coffee Gallery Hawaiʻi
Celestial Natural Foods, Haleiwa
Ke Nui Kitchen
The Beet Box Cafe
Turtle Bay Resort
Brew'd Craft Pub
Blue Tree Cafe
Green Garden by Plant Based Haven
Food Truck, Honolulu
Hau Tree Lanai
Kaimana Farm Cafe
Mahina and Sun's
Mud Hen Water
Morning Glass Coffee
Koko Head Cafe
Windward Bar, Whole Foods
Kona Brewing Company
Koko Head Marina
Kahumana Organic Cafe